The 2016 Drone Photography Contest winners have been announced on Dronestagr.am and wow…they are fabulous! See these 9 stunning drone photos here.
Dronestagr.am was set up in 2013 by Eric Dupin to be a space to upload awe-inspiring aerial photographs captured not by a hand-held camera, but by a drone.
Its aim was to create a community of drone cinematographers and photographers with a “birds-eye” point of view.
Three years on and it is a community of 30,000 with many respected and revered drone photographers very active on the site, giving us an entirely new view of the earth through their aerial photographs.
As part of the remit to curate an online drone photography community, a photography competition has been held each year between May and June to choose the best photographs for that year, in collaboration with National Geographic France.
As Guillaume Jarret, Dronestagr.am co-founder says:
The 2016 International Drone Photography Contest winners were recently announced on Dronestagr.am. The third annual Dronestagram contest featured three categories: Travel, Sports Adventure, and Nature & Wildlife.
Within the three categories, there were 3 prizes, donated by the sponsors: Sofitel So Mauritius, Europ Assistance, 3DRobotics, Lowepro, Zeinberg and GoPro.
The jury included Patrick Witty (Deputy Director of Photography at the National Geographic), Jean-Pierre Vrignaud (Chief Editor of National Geographic France), Guillaume Jarret (Dronestagr.am co-founder) and Eric Dupin (Dronestagr.am co-founder).
The nine drone photos below showcase the top three winners in each category. They were selected from 5,900 entries spanning 28 countries!
2016 International Drone Photography Contest Winners
- Francesco Cattuto, Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi, Umbria, Italy.
- Todd Kennedy, Cable Beach, Australia.
- Karolis Janulis, Playa de Amadores, Gran Canaria.
- Max Seigal, Canyonlands National Park near Moab, Utah.
- Juan Pablo Bayona, Cúcuta, Colombia.
- Tj Balon, Cordova, Alaska.
- Michael B. Rasmussen, Kalby Ris Forest, Denmark.
- Szabolcs Ignacz, Marpod, Romania.
- Jonathan Payet, Piton del la Fournaise Volcano, Réunion Island.
1st Prize: Winning picture featured on National Geographic plus 1 week for two people in Sofitel So Mauritius (Mauritius Island)
- Photographer: Francesco Cattuto
- Instagram: @fcattuto
- Location: Basilica of Saint Francis of Assisi, Umbria, Italy
- Interesting Fact: Francesco took this picture in December 2015, it was a foggy day so he sent his drone above the clouds and captured this spectacular picture
- Photographer: Todd Kennedy
- Instagram: @todka
- Location: Cable Beach, Australia
- Interesting Fact: Todd was on honeymoon when he went on a sunset camel ride on Cable Beach with his wife. Having brought his drone, he captured this amazing image while on the tour.
- Photographer: Karolis Janulis
- Instagram: @karolis.jay
- Location: Playa de Amadores, Gran Canaria.
- Interesting Fact: Karolis was on a trip to Gran Canaria when he took this shot of Playa de Amadores with his drone.
- Photographer: Max Seigal
- Instagram: @maxseigal
- Location: Canyonlands National Park near Moab, Utah
- Interesting Fact: Island in the Sky features sandstone towers, a favourite of rock climbers.
- Photographer: Juan Pablo Bayona
- Instagram: @losmanesdeldrone
- Location: Swimming Competition Cúcuta, Colombia
- Interesting Fact: Juan Pablo was covering a swimming competition when he decided to get a bird’s eye view of the swimmers with his drone.
- Photographer: TJ Balon
- Instagram: @high angle_shot
- Location: Cordova, Alaska
- Interesting Fact: Sometimes it is the lack of drama in a photograph that makes it all the more interesting.
- Photographer: Michael B. Rasmussen
- Instagram: @mbernholdt
- Location: Kalby Ris Forest, Denmark
- Interesting Fact: Michael felt he had a bit of luck on his side when he took this shot as there had been a recent snowfall and with the deciduous trees bare, the green pine trees really stood out.
2nd Prize: Winning picture featured on National Geographic, GoPro Hero (value €529), Professional quality print, Selection Plexiglas offered by Zeinberg (value €99)
- Photographer: Szabolcs Ignacz
- Location: Marpod, Romania
- Instagram: @thedonsza
- Interesting Fact: Again a photographer with quick reflexes! Szabolcs was driving when he spotted this large flock of sheep. Out with the drone and voilà, a prize-winning photo!